Object of the Month - July 2014
For this month, we feature not one object, but a collection of over 700 photographs. Amersham Museum has, through the generosity of Jean Archer, the Ward family and others, been able to build up an important historic collection of photographs taken by George Ward. Most of these are glass-plate negatives which have been turned into digital images and can be seen in albums and on a touch-screen in the Museum as well as featuring on our history website. Copies may be purchased.
George Ward was born in 1860 and was a man of many skills: painter and glazier, gas works manager, founder of the Amersham brass band, bicycle manufacturer and repairer, motor car repairer and (not least) an excellent photographer. The earliest of the photos which we have were taken in 1880 and the last was in 1930. They give us a marvellous record of the town in late Victorian and Edwardian times. We also have his handwritten journal recording when and where he took many of the photos.
Below we show a small selection of George’s Victorian era photographs. The image above show sacks of wool being loaded outside the Elephant & Castle, High Street, Amersham, 1891.
Carpenters building Amersham Station, which opened in 1892.
Market Square in 1899.
Celebrating the Relief of Makeking in 1900.